Friday, June 19, 2009

Happy 56th Anniversary!



Our parents celebrate 56 years of marriage today! I can't believe what an accomplishment this is. Being married for that long is almost unheard of these days and when I tell people how long Mom and Dad have been married, their eyes get really big! We, as their children, have been blessed by two great examples. Examples of love, faith, struggles, heartache, joy, and enduring to the end. I'm sure Mom and Dad's marriage has not always been smooth sailing but they have pressed on somehow. They have been a true joy to us all and continue to bless our lives in every way.

Mom and Dad have loved us and have sacrificed much for us. We are eternally grateful for all they have done. There are two quick (unless I get long-winded) stories that I would like to document of Mom and Dad and their love and sacrifice for their children.

After Mom and Dad moved to Washington, in the fall Mom would drive potato truck to help bring in extra money. LaVoy and Jana were still little and not in school yet. The older siblings, mostly Marion and Barbie, recount how Mom would get up at 3:30 in the morning, make everyone's lunch that day and a batch of cookies for the older kids to take in their lunch. Then everyone would wake up to a hot breakfast that Mom had made. She would then dress LaVoy and Jana, comb everyone's hair, and head out the door with LaVoy and Jana in tow. Marion has said that she remembers Mom cleaning LaVoy and Jana's shoes every morning so their shoes would be clean for the day. Mom would then entertain LaVoy and Jana everyday in the potato truck by singing songs, telling stories, and teaching them their alphabet. At the end of the day, Mom would come home, make dinner, I'm sure do some house work, and then start all over again. Is this not a prime example of sacrifice and unconditional love?



When LaVoy was somewhere between middle school and high school, she became very interested in snow skiing. In the area we grew up in, we had the opportunity to take a bus every Saturday morning during ski season to Mission Ridge, a ski resort that was nearby, and take skiing lessons through the school. LaVoy loved skiing right away! That year for Christmas, she asked Mom and Dad for skiis. Mom told LaVoy that money was tight because there were other kids to buy for and Travis was still on his mission. LaVoy shared with me once that she was laying in bed on Christmas Eve feeling sorry for herself over the fact that she knew she would not be getting skiis for Christmas. She said that a voice told her to look out the window. She did and she saw Dad walking across the yard from the shed in the snow carrying skiis over his shoulder. LaVoy told me she had never felt so humbled in her life because she knew what Mom and Dad had to sacrifice to get her the skiis.



These are the most touching stories to me of all the stories that I know about these two wonderful people. They have taught each of us that family comes first. They have showed us that through their example.



Mom and Dad are now enjoying the retired life, spending time with their family, and working at the Columbia River Temple every Saturday. This experience has been such a blessing in their lives and the lives of their children as well. We love you Mom and Dad! Thank you for being the very best parents for us and for being even greater grandparents. We are honored to be your children and grandchildren and we hope you know on this very special day how loved you both are.

4 comments:

Marion said...

Oh, Cara! What an awesome post! It made me cry! We do have wonderful parents who have been such examples to all of us. Yes, there have been hard times that no parent should ever have to go through but they have endured and been happy through the sadness! I love you, lil' seester! Wish I was there with you all! oxoxo

Nicole said...

Congrats to Grammie and Grandpa! What a perfect example of love, patience, and so many other things. I feel blessed (and quite proud) to be part of their family! Give Grammies loves and tell her to pass them on to Grandpa. Hope you're having fun! Love, Love, Love YOU!

melanie said...

Great post. Love the photos. Hope you're having FUN! And Happy Anniversary to some great people that show me love all the time!!

JanaLee said...

I, too am so grateful for our wonderful parents. I remember the times in the potato truck and for some reason the boiled eggs that Mom packed in our lunch everyday and put in this tupperware container. We sang songs constantly and I loved watching her tease and joke with the guys at the potato shed. She always had a smile on her face and never did I hear a complaint. I still love the smell of potato sheds and I always use her example of a very devoted Mother and proudly speak of her dedication to us all. Her love is apparent through her day to day actions and I know she must have been dead on her feet so much of the time. Dad has also taught us all how to work hard and keep going. Even though he would be gone for weeks at a time we knew he loved us and I remember so clearly how excited we were when he came home. Dad helped me overcome some of my deepest fears and I'll forever remember the memory of seeing him in his bed reading the scriptures. I am sooooo very thankful for being blessed with the greatest parents a child could wish for. I love them and revere them greatly. Thanks Cara for honoring them for all of us. We are blessed to have them and each other because of them.
Loves to you!!!
Jana