Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sometimes Dreams Come True

For those of you who know Colby, you know he's obsessed with sports, mainly basketball. He plays it, watches it faithfully on TV, and spends hours in our backyard or at the church shooting around. A couple of years ago, Uncle Greg taught him how to spin the ball on his finger, a trick that fascinates kids around him. This little trick turned into wanting to watch the Harlem Globetrotters. He has talked about it ever since he learned how to spin the ball. Then, we watched "Flight Time" and "Big Easy" on the last season of the Amazing Race and this escalated the desire to see them in person. Well, what do you know? They came to Stockton and Colby got two tickets for Christmas.

Colby was pretty excited to get the tickets, it was unexpected! I kept teasing him about picking me to go with him, but I knew he would want Ryan to go because Dad's so much cooler with the sports thing than I am. He did pick Ryan and I wasn't upset but sure wish I could have been there to see his reaction live. I had the pleasure of staying home with Taylor and his dragging lip. He was pretty bummed that he didn't get a ticket, too, but I kindly reminded him that the i-Touch he was carrying in his hand was his Harlem Globetrotter ticket (and then some). He only pouted for a little while and then we did his favorite thing - played board games and made brownies.

Warming up.

Ryan bought Colby a jersey at the game and Colby managed to get it signed by all the players on the team and even Alan Sanchez who is a news anchor for a morning show in Sacramento, who played on the opposing team. Colby was pretty excited when he came home and talked about it for two days after.

Colby before the "game".

Colby and "Flight Time".

Colby and "Big Easy".

Now, not only is he spinning the ball on his finger, he picked up a couple of tricks from that night that he is practicing faithfully. Sometimes I have to ask him to stop because it gets on my nerves when I'm trying to watch TV because heaven forbid if I miss a line from "The Bachelor" or "American Idol". Colby has always said that he is going to play in the NBA. I love how kids dream big and we've never discouraged it or teased him about it because we all need a dream. Now he's saying he's going to play for the Harlem Globetrotters. I wonder if he'll be recognizable on the court?

5 comments:

Nicole said...

You and Ryan deserve the award for Parents of the Decade. You're so fun, you give great gifts, and you still watch American Idol :)
How fun for Colbs. I hope he doesn't forget me when he is playing in the NBA.
Oh and tell Taylor that if I ever get to CA...that iTouch might mysteriously make it into my bag...I am green with jealousy!!
Love You!

melanie said...

Really, your kids get on your nerves when you're doing something for you? That's so weird! :)

Sounds like a perfect Christmas gift for Colby. I wondered if there was going to be a dragging lip. Way to pull him out of it!

I so wanted Flight Time and Big Easy to win Amazing Race. They were so fun and funny to watch!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a very fun night! I loved those two on Amazing Race as well. Colby, I was going to have you give them a hug for me! Oh well, next time--or better yet, when you are their teammate!

grandmagrandpadickson said...

wow. Colby you didn't even think about inviting your grandma?! How fun for you. Aunt Kelcie was just talking about wanting to see them when they come to SLC. Taylor I bet you got to help make the brownies.

Our Family said...

That is so cool. We LOVE the Amazing Race and Flight Time and Big Easy were so funny! Too bad they didn't win. I am glad Colby had such a fun time!