Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Haleakala Crater

Even though we did this on day two in Maui, I had to post this one all by itelf because it was so cool! There's a crater you can drive to called Haleakala Crater. It was about 2 hours from the condo and we hesitated back and forth on doing it. We didn't want all of our time spent in the car driving around. People had told us that this was a magnificent place to see, especially at sunrise or at sunset.

We found ourselves with some spare time in the evening on Tuesday and decided to go see it because who knows when our next chance will be or if there will be another chance. The scenery changes dramatically on the way there! You go from warm, lush, green surroundings to desolate, lava rock, and cows. The drive was beautiful but it was growing dark quickly so we knew we had to hurry!

You start out at sea level and climb to 10,000 feet. By the time we reached the summit, the clouds were rolling in and the sun was starting to go down. It was a beautiful sight. NASA has some small buildings set up there to do testing. They say that this crater is the equivalent of what it would be to walk on the moon. It was so quiet! We were so glad to go even though it was 35^ when we stepped out of the car.

Here are some of our pictures. Notice my left boob squished against Colby's shoulder in the one picture. I must have been cold and trying to absorb his body heat! Just one more reason why he'll need therapy.





5 comments:

Nicole said...

WOW!!!! I am so so jealous! It looks like you guys had a TON of fun! You totally needed that vacation! I am so glad that the boys made it safely (I would have been F-R-E-A-K-I-N-G out too), and that you had so much fun. I miss you! Oh and I love that your boob is squished against Colby - you're hilarious!

melanie said...

OK, Nic's comment has me cracking up!! The crater looks so cool. My kids love that kind of stuff. I'm so glad you guys had a good time. What a stress about the boys. I would have loved to hear the 3 phone conversations while you were getting 'the mess' straightened out. Can you say....rip a strip? Love it! :)

Leisha said...

I went to Maui in Feb of 05 and we went to the Haleakala Crater! The one thing that I remember really well is the spiky plant you couldn’t touch because it only grows there...I'm so glad you guys had fun!
Leisha

JanaLee said...

Oh my HECK!! It looks like you had soooo much fun! Now, aren't you glad you went and without having a nervous breaksown! I'm just dying though cause it's been so long since I've seen you and the pictures made me cry! My little boys are growing up and Cara, you look beautiful!! I love you guys and miss ya even more!!!
Jana/Nana

Shaila Lou said...

Wow, it looks and sounds like a wonderful trip! The warmth of the pictures looks way too inviting! Your boys are getting way too big, I can't believe it! How fun to have such a fun vacation that you can all enjoy.

PS...Just be glad you have a boob you can squish! Hahaha!