Thursday, May 20, 2010

Jana Gets The Credit And Taylor's First Love

Monday we celebrated our wedding anniversary. I would walk you down memory lane of the blessed event and post some pictures but why didn't anyone tell me I looked scary from 1996 to 2000? I had read all sorts of wedding magazines saying you should just be natural, look like you do everyday, don't get too fancy with your hair and makeup. Boy, were they wrong! I should have had some sort of a make-over. I look at our wedding pictures and think, "Really, Ryan thought I was marrying material?". In any event, I must pay tribute to Jana, my sister, who brought Ryan and I together. If it wasn't for her and her plotting ways, none of this would have ever happened.

I'm not sure what Jana saw in both of us all those years ago to want to bring us together or to think that it would even work, but I'm glad she pushed the issue. I will never forget the first night I met Ryan. My first impression was that he was short but nice, kind of shy. Who knows what he thought of me, we probably don't want to know. All I remember is that I was kind of flighty because I had been totally caught off guard with him showing up at my sister's house. He always reminds me that that's the night I almost killed him on the Arlington Heights road. That's a story for another time.

I also found out that Taylor has his first love. I'm not sure how I feel about this other than I finally realize that my boys are starting to get to the age where they are more into girls. Neither of them have been girl crazy at all but I can see changes in them, so I know it's prone to happen. A little bird told me that Taylor is "fake dating" or what us 90's kids know as "going out". I brought this up to Taylor and he was as nonchalant as ever. I said, "So you asked a girl out?". He said, "Yes, her name's Sarah". I said, "So what did she say?". He said, "She said, "No". I said, "So how do you feel about it?" He said, "I don't really care, there will be other girls". Great! Then he said, "Mom, am I in trouble over this?". He then went on to tell me that she's REALLY cute (his words) and that all the boys in class like her. I'm sure she thinks Taylor is mouthy in class because I know he is. Luckily, he has a teacher who likes that. He thinks it's his responsibility to be the class jokester.

The same sister who hooked Ryan and I up is also the same sister who told me that this day would come and she would sit back and laugh. Are you laughing, Jana? I'm not. I want my boys to like girls but I want them to like them when they're 30 not 11! I don't know if I'll survive the teenage years.

I love you, Ryan, even if we did reproduce children that are starting to like girls at a young age. Happy (late) Anniversary! Thanks, Jana, for all your hard work. I know it took a little convincing and a lot of planning to get us to finally meet. We will always be grateful to you for what you did.


2 comments:

Marion said...

Oh, I would sure keep my kids away from the opposite sex as much possible if I had to do it all over again. Never letting them be alone together AT ALL. I just read a talk by Elder Gene Cook talking to an institute class. He suggested the kids need to decide decisions before they ever have to make them. Never be alone at anytime. But the way he said it seem worth the sacrifices needed to be clean for your future spouse. It was really good!

JanaLee said...

I don't know how I missed this post!!
good memories...you have so much MORE to deal with when it comes to girls and all I can say is GOOD LUCK!!!!