It was just the four of us this year. We usually have one set of our parents here but they have had such bad weather in Washington that my parents didn't want to chance it. We enjoyed our family time and doing our family traditions. As the boys are getting older, I am realizing that the traditions we do are important to them and I hope that they love and enjoy them enough to carry them on someday when they start their own families.
The boys made a haul as usual. In my mind when we're out shopping I always think that they need one more thing and then once it's wrapped and under the tree I realize that we may have gone a little overboard. Their lists are getting much simpler, Colby wanted only basketball stuff and Taylor wasn't sure what he wanted this year. Well, he wanted a gun but we told him he had to be 13.
Colby's wish came true. He got mostly basketball stuff. His main items that he wanted were a shooting shirt and an Evolution basketball. He was pretty happy with both things. Taylor ended up with a PS3 because his parents are boring and didn't know what else to do for him. He was thrilled with it and it has kept him busy during the Christmas break.
Colby with his shooting shirt on.
Santa Dog stopped by and brought the schnauzer a stuffed Snoopy that he was very excited about. He drags it around everywhere and it's not a whole lot smaller than he is but he manages. Taylor also bought him a toy chicken that squeeks and put it under the tree because Taylor wanted him to have his own special present just from Taylor. He loves the chicken, we don't love that it squeeks.
We had our usual family Christmas Eve dinner, which turned out great! I made a new pork loin roast recipe and a new dessert recipe, apple dumplings. On Christmas morning we had our extended family, the Ponds, over and we had Christmas brunch. We made Abelskievers, quiche, sausage, bacon, fruit, and Wassail. We were stuffed by the end of it. It was fun to be together on Christmas morning and open presents with them.
The rest of the day, we were lazy. We watched new movies that the boys got, I snuggled on the couch in the new blanket from my sister, and we even took a little nap. Santa was very tired this year and has had a hard time recooperating!
The table centerpiece for Christmas.
It was a great day! I love seeing the boys' face over the surprises under the tree, I love the feeling of family closeness, I love the food and fun things to look at during the holidays, but mostly I'm grateful for the chance to celebrate the birth of our Savior.
0 comments:
Post a Comment