Monday, January 17, 2011

Barkleyville

Last Sunday we were sitting around and Ryan had the great idea to take Hurley to the dog park that's just down the road from our house. It's called Barkleyville and I can't believe how busy that park is all day long! I think the people of Stockton were shaking their heads over spending 1.5 million on a dog park but it is busy.

Hurley has some social issues. He isn't real sure of other people. When we take him in the car, he barks at the people in the parking lot that are walking either to or from their cars and shakes. He barks every time a doorbell rings, whether on TV, my cell phone (which I had to change), or our own doorbell. We thought maybe some socializing might help him get over his fears.

Hurley first arriving at the park and being greeted by new friends.

Colby went with Ryan and I to Barkleyville and poor Hurley didn't know what to think. There was one dog there who would not leave him alone. Hurley ran so fast from him that it was funny. Colby was hysterical the whole time we were there watching Hurley and the other dogs. We were there over an hour and Hurley was exhausted when we left.

The one that wouldn't leave Hurley alone. His owner felt so bad!

In my family, we have always talked for our animals. Maybe it's common, I don't know, but the boys and I (minus Ryan) have given Hurley his own voice that he talks in and we talk as if we can read his mind. When we got in the truck he said to me, "I was licked, sniffed, chased, and humped! I'm never going back". I think Hurley really had a good time getting out in the fresh air and running around. He's some dog!

Hurley running real fast from the pest.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Ha!! This made my day! And who doesn't talk for their animals? I thought everyone did that. Also I wouldn't worry about Ryan not joining in on that one...even Ray talks for Charlie :) Miss you. Did you buy a plane ticket yet? ;)

Nat and Chad said...

Oh dear! I told you he barked at everyone/everything! Hopefully barkleyville will cure him! :) I love love love that you blog about Hurley. It makes me happy but certainly makes me miss him! But I'm SO glad he is being so loved. Couldn't make me happier. I can just imagine him running from that puppy. I'll have to send you a video I recorded of him running from my mom's dog. Funniest thing ever! haha. Give him a kiss for me!

JanaLee said...

I'd say he had fun but then again...he spoke for himself!!