Thursday, March 27, 2008

Barkie Von German Shepherd


These are the famous bite marks!

Two weeks ago this last Tuesday, I had just come home from work and decided to go upstairs and pay some bills. Colby andaylor informed me that they were going to go out front and play baseball. In this neighborhood we live in, the houses are pretty close together and several of our neighbors have dogs. Like myself, Colby and Taylor are a little skittish around large dogs and therefore avoid the neighbor dogs.
I was just walking upstairs when I heard a dog bark and a child scream. I ran downstairs and opened the front door to find Colby on the sidewalk with a German Shepherd attached to his leg. I FREAKED OUT! I screamed, which startled the dog off of Colby's leg, picked Colby up and brought him into the house. He had blood all over his leg. The owner got the dog under control, took him home, and came back. I panicked, called Ryan and asked him to come home, called Chris for medical advice, and then proceeded to take Colby to Immediate Care. In the meantime, Taylor started calling people (yes, we bought the boys a cell phone, much to Ryan's dismay) and happened to call Colby's best friend, Troy. Troy and his mom showed up, Troy was crying, Colby was crying, it was quite the scene. Troy insisted on coming with us to the doctor, so in one car was myself, Colby, and Troy. Behind us was Ryan and Taylor, and behind Ryan was the neighbor. We looked like a funeral procession!

We spent four hours at the doctor and all Colby needed was antibiotics. They don't stitch a dog bite because they consider it a "dirty" bite and highly apt to get infected. The neighbor was so nice and so concerned. I felt so bad because he felt bad. He stayed with us the whole time.

Colby has recovered and the pictures are about a week and a half old. I don't know if I will ever get the mental picture out of my head of the dog biting Colby's leg. I really think the dog was playing, he is a pup, and when Colby saw him, he started running away from him. I think if the dog was being mean he would have bit Colby harder than he did.

After Colby got over the initial shock of it all, I guess he decided he could use it to his advantage at school! I guess he had a lot of questions and I'm sure thanks to Taylor the school knew about it before lunch time!

7 comments:

Brianne said...

Poor thing! I am also not a big fan of big dogs, especially when they're not leashed. I hate to go walking and seeing a dog heading my direction. They can be so unpredictable!

I'm sure that was pretty scary seeing that happen to your child. That was nice that the owner of the dog cared enough to make sure all was well. Thank goodness it didn't turn out worse!

Kelcie said...

Poor Colbs! I couldn't help but laugh, I was picturing the whole thing in my mind. I shouldn't be laughing. But I am glad that he is doing well.

Shaila Lou said...

Well that doesn't help with feeling uneasy around dogs!! How scary for Colby and you! I had to laugh at the story though. It sounds quite entertaining, and the "funeral procession", hilarious! I'm glad it wasn't that bad and that the neighbor was so nice! Hope Colby is doing better!

melanie said...

Dang that looks like it hurts! Good think Colby is so tough!

I am a HUGE wimp around dogs. I guess you could say animals in general. In fact, the other day a cat of all things jumped inside our door and I screamed (dramatic I know). Not out of fright but surprise. Anyway, the next day Dane screamed and was petrified of the cat. I'm ruining my kids.

Anna said...

Poor Colby, he seems like the one of the two to least be able to handle that. Sounds like he did well though. I get nervous when Im on a walk and my kids are in the stroller and big dogs walks by on leashes and sniff at them. You just never know. Unfortunately Dallin would crawl up to any dog and love on them. "Puppy" was his first word!
Im so sorry how scary to see your kid like that!

Nicole said...

All I know is I am SO glad that the bite didn't come from a schnauzer or Charlie would be so ashamed..not that he hasn't sunk his teeth into a kid or too. (If they would just leave my tail alone....). Anyways, hope Colby is on the mend, and you might want to reconsider Taylor's phone privileges. They are such good looking young men...it scares me a bit. I am going to need you to write a book. I have NO idea what to do with this baby boy coming to me. Love you all, Miss you lots!!

Gerrit & Ashlee said...

It looks like Colby lost the rest of his leg in these pictures! That must have been one big dog- but seriously- that's terrible- hopefully he'll have a cool scar though